Skip to main content

Day Five Recap: Warmth is Fleeting!

I'm actually typing this on Day Six in Cloudcroft - last night after gassing up and getting some supplies in town, I rode back down to James Canyon near Mayhill in the Lincoln National Forest (is that where "Lincoln Logs" came from?) for the night. Unfortunately there was zero signal there! I even walked all over including hiking up the side of a mountain a couple hundred feet but no dice. Incidentally this diner serves wicked breakfast burritos! (you may notice a burst of messages as I re-send all my failed ones from last night)

So, yesterday was pretty awesome again - really cruising into New Mexico. Lots of long stretches of not seeing anyone for tens of minutes, and some nice sweeping curves added to the mix as well. Largest town I've seen was Cloudcroft, which is maybe 6-7 blocks long.

Camping was kinda sick - I stopped really early to relax and basically spent five hours staring ata camp fire. Totally awesome that someone had left a ton of wood at a nearby campsite, so I hauled it over and it kept me going through the night and warmed me up a bit in the morning. Basically total chill out period.

Got really cold last night though! I had ice on my tent when I woke up, and had to triple sock my feet. Otherwise I made it through ok!

On the other hand, running into my first potential problem - all that rough asphalt in New Mexico yesterday really ripped up my rear tire. It is almost completely bare, and I'm concerned it doesn't have much longer on it before I hit the belt. Last thing I want is to pop a rear tire at 80MPH... so I'm currently looking up the closest dealer to hopefully get it replaced.

Thus, depending on what happens, I may hit White Sands today, but I probably won't make it to City of Rocks for the night as I planned - I think I may need to spend the night in Las Cruces to get the bike fixed. Hrm hrm. We'll see!

Also, a warning - I expect barring this tire issue that the next few days will have spotty connectivity for me, since I'm going off into nowhere. I'll send a video I made last night explaining it (to help me remember since I didn't have a pen), so that's my plan..


Popular posts from this blog

Days 94-98: The Struggle for Beauty

In which Pete nearly loses Red and gives up once again, before crossing an ice field to spend the night with the Bolivian army at Laguna Colorada and returning to Uyuni for supplies.

Jury Duty: Not Like TV (or: Longest Post EVER)

Prepare yourself for by far the longest blog post ever – if you’re at all curious about real life jury duty or enjoy all those cop & lawyer shows then give it a go - this recount of the trial and details given for evidence will blow your mind, make you think twice about the effectiveness of our police officers and the impartiality of our juries… Shortly before leaving on my trip in January, I was summoned for DC Grand Jury Duty .  I was able to have it rescheduled to begin on June 7 and made it back to the US only a few days before it was due to start.  After thinking about it I really felt that I would not be comfortable spending 27 days of 8:30AM to 5PM in an “office” for $30 a day, especially with the changes to the economy going on right now – I’d rather enjoy that time. Upon arriving at the courtroom for Grand Jury Duty, I quickly noted that there were over 40 people in the room, considerably more than the number required for the Grand Jury.  Once we were checked in, the c

Days 61-62: The Little Engine that Could… Not?

In which Pete returns to Ruta 40 with a shiny new front wheel, struggles against mysterious engine problems, has an argument with a police officer in the dark, and survives a desert of prickly thorns only to get a flat at Walmart. Day 61 Begin: Santa Rosa, Las Pampas, Argentina @ 10:30AM End: Unknown Location, Ruta 143, Las Pampas, Argentina @ 6:15PM Distance: estimated 350km (218mi), no odometer and GPS datalogger failed I was pretty stoked this morning. Red was shiny and clean, his new front wheel was incredibly stable, swapping out the fat and loud MT40 in back for a normal road tire made him more quiet and docile, and all that ash and gunk was cleaned out of the intake system. The temperature was so warm (upper 50’sF) that I felt free and agile wearing less layers than normal and the wind was blowing straight south while I would be traveling mostly westward – incredible luck that I wouldn’t be traveling straight into the wind the entire day.